FM: There’s no ‘military option’ regarding Iran’s nuclear program

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi

Iran's foreign minister has dismissed US President Donald Trump's latest threats about using military force to bomb the country’s nuclear sites.

Abbas Araghchi said in a post on X that there is no such thing as a "military option," let alone a "military solution" concerning Iran's peaceful nuclear program.

He noted that although the US unilaterally withdrew from the 2015 nuclear agreement, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, Iran has been committed to the deal.

The top diplomat said, “There is not one shred of proof that Iran has violated its commitment under the nuclear agreement.”

Araghchi said Iran has reaffirmed that under no circumstances will it ever seek, develop, or acquire nuclear weapons.

He also cautioned against any US adventurism, saying catastrophic failures in the region “have cost prior US administrations more than 7 trillion dollars.”

Araghchi concluded by saying that diplomatic engagement has worked in the past and can still work.

His remarks followed a phone call with the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, during which he called on the UN nuclear agency to take a clear stance on threats made against Iran’s nuclear sites.

Trump threatened that he could order military strikes against Iran’s nuclear infrastructure if Tehran refused to make a new deal with Washington.

During his first term in office, Trump withdrew the United States from a previous agreement on Iran’s nuclear program and launched a maximum pressure campaign against the country.

Trump restored that policy after returning to the White House for a second term in January, but he has since signaled a willingness to make a new deal to replace the 2015 deal, officially called the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).

The US president wrote a letter to Iran last month, asking for negotiations to reach a new agreement and threatening military action if Tehran refused.

Iran has ruled out direct negotiations with the US under pressure and threats, citing Washington’s history of violating its international obligations.

President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Sunday that Iran had responded to Trump's letter and that Tehran was ready to engage in indirect negotiations with Washington. The president added that US behavior would determine the course of the talks. 

US intelligence agencies have warned that Israel may also launch an attack on Iran’s nuclear infrastructure this year. 


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.co.uk

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku