News   /   Politics

No such thing as ‘military option’ let alone ‘military solution’ to nuclear issue: Foreign minister

Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi

Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has stressed the importance of diplomacy over Iran’s nuclear program, warning there is no “military solution” as tensions escalate following US President Donald Trump’s threats to bomb Iran’s nuclear infrastructure.

“Diplomatic engagement worked in the past and can still work. BUT, it should be clear to all that there is—by definition—no such thing as a ‘military option’ let alone a ‘military solution,’” he wrote on X on Tuesday.

The foreign minister cited past US military interventions in the region, which he said have cost over $7 trillion, as evidence of the catastrophic consequences of such a move.

Araghchi said Iran was committed to its pledge under the 2015 nuclear agreement never to seek, develop, or acquire nuclear weapons.

He added that this commitment remains intact even though the United States unilaterally withdrew from the nuclear deal during Trump’s first term in office.  

“POTUS (president of the United States) may not like the 2015 nuclear deal. But it contains one vital commitment by Iran which remains in place, and which even the US—being out of the deal—has benefited from: Iran reaffirms that under no circumstances will Iran ever seek, develop or acquire any nuclear weapons,” he wrote.

Araghchi pointed out that, a decade after the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) was signed, there is no evidence to suggest Iran has violated its obligations.

He cited recent remarks by US Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard, who told a Senate Intelligence Committee last week that the US intelligence community “continues to assess that Iran is not building a nuclear weapon.”

Araghchi posted the statement shortly after he held a phone call with IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi, during which he called on the UN nuclear agency to take a clear stance regarding threats being made against Iran’s nuclear sites.

Trump threatened over the weekend that he might order military strikes against Iran if Tehran refused to enter negotiations to “make a new deal.”

On March 12, Trump sent a letter to Iran’s leadership, asking for negotiations to reach a new deal and threatening military action if Tehran refused.

Iran has ruled out direct negotiations with the US under pressure and threats but says indirect talks remain an option.

Araghchi said earlier that Iran considers negotiations with Britain, France, and Germany, signatories to the JCPOA, as indirect diplomacy with the United States.


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.co.uk

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku