The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) has censured a recent terrorist attack in Swedish capital of Stockholm in which several people lost their lives and over a dozen others sustained injuries.
In a statement released by the organization on Saturday, OIC Secretary-General Youssef bin Ahmad Al-Othaimeen said that he had been “shocked by this tragic incident”, offering his condolences to the Swedish government and families of the victims.
He also expressed the 57-nation organization’s support of Sweden following the deadly attack.
The incident occurred on Friday, when a stolen truck plowed into a crowd outside the busy Ahlens department store on the central street of Drottninggatan in Stockholm, killing four people and wounding 15 others.
The driver fled the scene but hours later security forces announced that they had arrested him. They added that the alleged driver was a 39-year-old Uzbek national, without naming him.
No terrorist organization, including the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group, has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.
“Nothing points to that we have the wrong person, on the contrary, suspicions have strengthened as the investigation has progressed,” Dan Eliasson, head of Sweden's national police, told a news conference on Saturday. “We still cannot rule out that more people are involved,” he further said, adding that they had also found a device in the vehicle that did not belong there.
Meanwhile, Anders Thornberg, head of the Sapo security police, said that the detained suspect had been known to authorities.
“The arrested man was not part of any of the security police’s ongoing investigations. However, he is a person who has previously figured in our intelligence flow,” he said.
A number of world politicians have already denounced the attack and expressed solidarity with the victims.