Australia has confirmed that pieces of debris discovered in Mozambique are “almost certainly” remains of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, which has been missing for two years.
Australia’s Transport Minister Darren Chester made the announcement on Thursday, after the examination of the parts was completed.
“The analysis has concluded the debris is almost certainly from MH370,” Chester said.
The fragments, which were found separately on a sandbank in February, were sent to Australia for analysis.
“That such debris has been found on the east coast of Africa is consistent with drift modeling performed by CSIRO [Australia’s science agency] and further affirms our search efforts in the southern Indian Ocean,” Chester added.
The MH370 flight disappeared two years ago with 239 passengers and crew, shortly after it left the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur to China.
Investigators ended up empty-handed following a massive international search in the South Indian Ocean, the China Sea, and the Gulf of Thailand.
Investigators found the first trace of the passenger plane on Reunion Island in July 2015. Another fragment, believed to be from a plane aircraft engine, was also found in South Africa.
With the new discoveries, however, Chester said, “We are focused on completing this task and remain hopeful the aircraft will be found.”
Earlier this month, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said the discovery of the wing part supported the idea that the plane had crashed into the southern Indian Ocean.