Muslims constitute a great chunk of the world’s population today and come in different colors and ethnicities.
After its advent in the 7th century, the monotheistic religion of Islam spread across continents giving rise to an array of Islamic sects and beliefs. One of them is the Shia sect, a denomination that accounts for 11 percent of the world’s Muslim population.
According to official statistics, 98 percent of Iranians are Muslim: Of that figure, around 91 percent are Shia and the remaining 9 percent Sunni.
In This section of Iran Today, you are going to watch how Shia communities are dwelling and how they face extremism by ISIL (Daesh).